Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 May 2002 14:52:01 EDT

List,

I have been far too occupied during the last 2 weeks to read much of what has
been discussed here.  I've been doing as I have for over 13 years now, tuning
not a single piano in ET.  I have tuned for public performances, rehearsed
the Bach St. Matthew Passion in which I will perform as one of the soloists
today, attended a Baroque English Opera where the harpsichord was in Meantone
and tuned a Steinway A & B for young artists who are preparing to be in
competitions.  Both are studying Beethoven.  Both choose me as their
technician because of the superior way I make their pianos sound and for how
long they continue to sound good after being tuned.

I did manage to read some of what Ted Sambell wrote.  My encounter with him
is very clear in my memory too.  Let me say that I do respect him very much.
I believe that he is the caliber of PTG Member who deserves the kind of
recognition provided by the Hall of Fame or Golden Hammer award.  Anyone
would be lucky to have him as a mentor.

I clearly remember Ted's very strong admonition.  If it wasn't a finger
pointing, I remember a hand gesture, what the French would call "montrant le
doigt"  (showing the finger) intended to dissuade me from the ideas I had
about tuning.

The piano I used that day in 1990 was a Korean import which was used to give
PTG Tuning Exams.  I was on the Exam Committee, training to become a
Certified Tuning Examiner.  In order to qualify for that training, I had to
have passed the exam with all scores above 90 which I had done fully 8 years
previously and scoring a perfect 100 on unisons among other scores.

Now, Ted said my unisons and octaves were bad but he had noticed an
improvement in more recent years.  That piano had some very bad false beats
which were noted as part of the record.  I had also invited an RPT who is a
piano dealer from New York to play the piano.  Both Ted and he said the same
thing and both banged violently on the notes they thought were mistuned and
unstable.  I explained that false beats were the cause but apparently Ted
does not remember that.

As for the octaves, I was also using the unique Tempered Octave system I had
developed several years previous to that event and which I still use today,
have been using all along and certainly will continue to use.  Neither my
unisons nor my octaves are substantially different or better now than they
were 12 years ago, except that I may have more skill at hiding false beats
through unison tuning today than I did then.

I listened to what Ted had to say and noted it.  I also noted that it was
coming from a most erudite practitioner who commanded a great deal of
respect.  But I still was not at all convinced by what he had to say, just
made aware that there are many people who must have the same strong
convictions and sets of beliefs that he has.

Ted's views are much like those which appear in Isacoff's new book,
"Temperament".  He does what William Braide White does, tips his hat, so to
speak, to Meantone, letting us know that there once was this other way to
tune but which is obsolete to the point of not even being worthy of study
unless one wants to prove to oneself just why it is obsolete because of it's
restrictiveness.  There is no other possibility, so it would seem from
reading these authors.

Ted, Isacoff and others ascribe many accomplishments in music history to the
use of ET.  Others are grasping at any straw to try to show or prove that ET
was in use at such and such dates in history so that such and such composer
*may* have used a piano in ET.  From this pure conjecture, we are supposed to
be motivated to embrace the almighty oneness, correctness, appropriateness
and infallibility of ET and reject any other idea as folly.

Well, I don't.  It was my work as an Examiner and learning to use such a tool
as the SAT which demonstrated to me that ET never was and is not today the
standard which it has always been believed to be.  It is well achieved today
by some top professionals but even in the latter part of the 20th Century,
the tuning profession was not always consistent which can be heard on many
recordings, even very recent ones.

Ted implies that all evidence of acceptance of non ET is anecdotal but
acceptance of ET is proof of its superiority.  Ted's dislike of the Vallotti
temperament that day in 1990 and his description of the distasteful sounds it
produced were his opinion and thus anecdotal too.  That piano dealer hated it
too but what interested me was the fact that there were many people who tried
it, listened to it and found it beautiful and intriguing.  I remember one
Quebecer telling me that the Beethoven which someone played on it sent chills
up his spine the way no other tuning had ever done.

Yet, we are supposed to dismiss this as anecdotal and go back to the idea
which has been standard practice for over 100 years, so they say.  It would
be imposing to do anything else.  It would be unethical to do anything else
without explanation and permission and the offer to tune it *BACK* to ET if
it is not found to be acceptable.
I don't buy any of that because I know from many, many observations (some of
them documented) that professional piano technicians, some of whom call
themselves concert tuners cannot and do not tune in ET.

In fact, I believe that it is the ET only philosophy which has led to the
perversion of practice which I heard once called Reverse Well and which
designation stuck with me.  If there is only one way to tune, then that one
way becomes whatever interpretation the practitioner puts upon it.  It most
often ends up being Reverse Well but is never recognized for what it is.  It
has been going on long enough and is pervasive enough however, that I believe
it may have established its own influence on music, the way ET is thought to
have done.

I'm not going to tune any pianos in ET for anyone for any reason and that is
my right and prerogative.  If I lived in another area and worked under
different circumstances, I might be forced to but that is why I choose to
live and work where I do and as I do.  If I did go tune in New York City for
example, I would speculate that the resistance to what I do would not come
from artists, musicians or the public, only from other tuners who can't do
what I do.

I've often been told as a way of putting down what I do that it is not new
and has been tried and rejected before.  Bill Garlick used to say that there
is nothing that anyone could do today that had not already been done.  I can
accept that but I challenge anyone anywhere to show me any documentation
which shows a temperament and octave arrangement that is the same as mine.
When I see it, I'll change the name from EBVT with Tempered Octaves to
whatever it was called before.  I don't expect anyone will ever find it.

It does play Beethoven more appropriately than ET does.  It also plays Bach
and virtually any other composer's music from any era and in any style more
appropriately than ET does because of the Cycle of 5ths Key Color feature and
the Equal Beating features which allow simple keys to sound purer than they
really are.  It avoids the harshness of most documented HT's and so it makes
it suitable and appropriate for all kinds of music, more suitable and
appropriate than ET.  This is not just an opinion nor is there just anecdotal
evidence for it.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want and I don't expect very many
people to take up my idea because you can't do it by just programming an ETD.
 You have to work at it and understand what it's all about.  But that means
that what I do is unique and of my own design.  Anyone else is free and
encouraged to come up with their own ideas too.  A new CD will appear on the
market in July which will feature 2 pianos tuned this way.  The pianists and
other musicians are all from New York except the leader who is from Madison,
WI.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin