"Old School Teachings" - Little Story & Confession

Greg T Tunapiana440@cox.net
Sun, 5 May 2002 13:42:06 -0500

David,

I always strive for excellence in my work, as we all should. But I can't =
tell you how many times I have driven many miles for a service call only =
to find a PSO clunker that is horribly out of tune and half the keys =
don't work because of broken & missing parts, etc, etc, but the customer =
says something like "This was my grandmother's piano. I just want to be =
able to plunk out a few melodies". Given the situation/parameters =
mentioned why would one be concerned about it being a bad reflection on =
their work? It is a reflection on the client. I don't think my =
reputation as a good technician will be damaged in the least by me =
making the effort to make that old clunker "playable" for the customer. =
I just do the best I can and then move on, hopefully to find a better =
piano to tune at my next appointment...

Best,
Greg
  =20

David Love wrote:

I missed a bit of this thread but the problem with doing this type of =
thing, even if the customer seems satisfied, is that the quality of the =
tuning reflects on you to others who may hear it.  Though you can't make =
a silk purse..., I do tend to think about the quality of the product I =
leave behind and how it might reflect on my own reputation.  If a =
customer wants to pay only a minimum charge, but you know the piano will =
need more to even get it reasonably in tune, and it is likely that you =
won't see this customer ever again--or at least for another 10 years, =
then (even though I still take the job) I often wonder if it's really =
worth it.

David Love

=20
----- Original Message -----=20