Newbie; Cleaning actions

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 09:57:47 -0700

At 10:22 AM 5/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>First, a couple words to introduce myself: I am a piano technology student
>and in the process of restoring my first upright piano. It is a very
>educational experience. I have been subscribed to this list for a few days
>now, and find it very interesting to read the ongoing discussions. Thank
>you for letting me "listen in", even though I am not as experienced yet as
>all of you.
>
>A couple questions:
>1. Is it ok on this list for a piano tech newbie to ask questions or is
>there a better venue for that? I am not yet a member of the PTG, but plan
>on joining very soon.
>
>2. A quick question on cleaning actions: The old upright I am restoring
>has an extremely dirty action. It is very very dusty. How would you go
>about cleaning this? I would be interested in hearining how you would go
>about doing this with a minimum set of tools ("the hard way"), or in an
>established shop.
>
>Thank you very much in advance for your replies.
>
>Regards,
>/Claudia

Hi, Claudia, and welcome.

This is the perfect place to ask questions.

As for cleaning a filthy upright action, your best bet is to blow it out
with compressed air (outdoors!) Of course, an air compressor isn't
exactly a "basic tool" -- maybe you can find someone with a compressor
who would let you haul over your filthy piano action and use their
compressor just outside their shop. Some piano people have them, but
also those with other types of shops, such as woodworkers, automotive
folks, etc. Maybe a community college might be a place to look. Act
friendly, see if they'll let you drop in between classes.

Once you find your compressed air, be aware that it can tear damper
felt. When using it near the dampers, compress the felt with a piece
of cardboard so that the air can't rip it up. That is, unless the
damper felt will be replaced anyway, of course.

If air is too difficult to get, the next-best way would be to use a vacuum
cleaner and a large (dry, clean) paintbrush. Brush what you can reach
with the paintbrush, while holding the hose of the vacuum an inch or
so away. As you remove (numbered!) parts, you will get access to the
more deeply grungy places.

When cleaning a filthy piano, always wear a dust mask, and always
clean your hands and face well afterwards with plenty of soap
and water. You can catch a cold from a filthy piano. If you are
cleaning the keybed, rubber gloves wouldn't hurt, either.

What brand of piano are you working on?

Best,

Susan Kline