improvements

Sat, 04 May 2002 17:22:45 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> > Actually, over the years an observable trend has thrust itself upon
> > me. Invariably, the quality of the piano manufacturer seems to be
> > inversely proportional to the number of brand names it manufactures
> > under.
>
> Hmmmmm..... Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex........ what is the trend here?
>
> Terry Farrell

Ahem... (formally stepping on to the proverbial soap box)

Grin... dream on you guys... I'm with Wim on this one. Steinway isnt going to
change because they have a good thing going. A "good thing" meaning...

-- a very nice sounding and playing instrument,
-- a very strong position in the market, based largely on that instrument and
on the publics perception of it.
-- a very well recieved second line in the form of Boston instruments.
(jury is still out on Essex)

Now lets face it... if you all were in their position, you would be forced to
mix your marketing strategies with your design considerations, and every other
facet of your endeavours... and you would be naturally enough primarilly
concerned with maintaining your position while producing a fine instrument.

Steinway produces a fine instrument, no way around it.  That they choose to
stick with what they have is no more or less a cheap marketing strategy then
another companies decision to lance "All NEW !!" models each and every
year...regardless of any minor improvements along the way.

A lot has been made of the influence S&S has had on the market.... it would
seem to me that these past 20 - 30 years Yamaha has moved considerably towards
taking over that particular role. And what better Yamaha then Steinway ?The
same mechanisms that frustrate the "Lone Ranger" piano builder / designer are
still going to be in place.. just in someone elses hands. And they will do the
exact same things with these mechanisms or loose market ground.... or money if
you like. Thats life and there isnt much you can do about it.

Ya'll might not like it... but Steinway is the defacto best piano in the world
because # 1 -- they have a good enough piano, and # 2 -- they have the publics
perception of this still in their hands.

Ya'll might not like it but sooner or later somebody else will take over that
position... and they will play the game just like S&S does today....without,
mind you, providing the world with a demonstratably better instrument.

Lifes a bitch and then you die... what can I say..

Now I will climb off the SB and get back to my weekend... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.