Tuning Pin length vs Pin Block Thickness

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 3 May 2002 09:24:27 -0700

David Love et al,
It has been my formula: If the pin block is 1 1/2" thick, then 2 1/2" tuning
pins are appropriate. If you do the math, ie the pin block is 1 1/2" + the
web is 1/8" that equals 1 5/8". Add at least 1/8" for coil clearance, that
makes 1 3/4" from the becket hole to the top of the pin is approx. 1/2",
that makes 2 1/4". Add the width of the coils, which is approx. 1/4", that
equals 2 1/2". Of course, you never want the pin to protrude below the
bottom of the pin block. These figures are to the nth, so in actual
application, the pin will be a bit higher and therefore will not protrude.
On open faced pin blocks, it's a bit different because we don't have the
plate web to take into account. However, most open-faced blocks are waaaay
thick and will usually accommodate this math. There are, of course,
exceptions to this and we should make the calculations before starting to
string. Some times the length of pin in the original will dictate what you
use. Other times, not.
Regards,
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)