Large disk sander

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Fri, 03 May 2002 09:40:19 -0400

In a message dated Thu, 2 May 2002  7:07:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

>You might want to consider a tabel saw and the Bill Spurlock hammer taping jig: http://www.spurlocktools.com/id35.htm  I have not used this myself, but have heard very good things from others about it. If you have a table saw, it might just be the best way to go!
>
>Terry Farrell

I use the tapering jig from Spurlock and find it accurate and stable.  I also like the finish on the felt and moulding if you need to thin the entire hammer.  I highly recommend it.
 You will still need a disc sander to shape the tail, I use a Delta table top 6 inch disc and belt sander coupled with a jig also from Spurlock.  I use a 50 grit garnet paper which leaves just a hint of roughness on the tail (not enough to greatly accelerate the wear on the backchecks).
With this system I can, to a great degree, control the weight of my hammers, accurately taking the same amount of material from each.
Try it you'll like it!

David Koelzer
DFW