Newton Hunt's workmanship

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 3 May 2002 07:30:38 -0400

At 10:00 PM -0700 5/2/02, Robert Goodale wrote:
>I don't understand, I thought it was a pretty good question.
>Perhaps he hasn't seen Newtons work?  If I >know Newton's
>disposition and humor he would not have a problem discussing this.
>You can ask me any >ol' time.
>
>JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:
>>In a message dated 02/05/02 11:21:59 PM, leslieklein@comcast.net writes:
>><< Newton is a RPT in NJ. Can anybody comment on his workmanship? >>
>>
>>No Leslie I won't comment on his workmanship, that speaks for
>>itself....I will comment on your >>unqualified lack of taste to
>>post this list of particulars on a public forum such as this.

I agree with Jim, Leslie is a turkey. It's one thing for him to post
such a request on this mailing list. This speaks of a naive
assumption that enough of the several hundred of us live in the same
county as Newton and that when Newton finishes a piano, enough of us
will be called in to tune the piano that there will be enough of us
to qualified to answer such a question. It as also assumes that we on
this list are who we say we are, a laughable assumption for anyone
who participates in the internet's chat rooms, news groups and
mailing lists. I mean, I am definitely Elvis's illegitimate and
unacknowledged offspring, but Del Fandrich, running a major piano
rebuilding facility in the NW? The truth is, he's probably some
disgruintled high school driver's ed teacher, nightly assuming this
identity thanks to the miracle of the internet.

It's another thing for Leslie to think the answer lies anywhere other
than with the pianos Newton have actually worked on. When a prospect
rebuilding customer asks me for a reference, I have several ready to
give him. I am happy to have my pianos and customers speak for
themselves. This is were Leslie should get his question answered.

It's certainly a fair question, given that his money is valuable to
him. But he made a serious error in coming to us with it. First,
while we can testify to the quality of his writing and ideas, Newton
(nor has anyone) posted a piano (or for that matter, a tuning) on
this mailing list for our inspection and approval. Second, although
some of us might not have a problem commenting the work (and prices)
Newton has chosen for Leslie's piano, such comments have nothing to
do with what the prevailing prices in Newtons neck of the woods or
with specifically what Leslie's piano needs. Such comments, thus
uniformed, are useless. Third, if Leslie doesn't trust Newton's
recommendations after a person-to-person presentation, why should he
place a higher valuable on the disembodied voices on this mailing
list.

No, Leslie's request is in the same category as the inquiry about the
Dietmann piano: the
"I-bought-this-Abbot&Costello-upright-piano-at-a-tag-sale-for-$700-and
-it-doesn't-need-a-tuning,-but -has-some-sticky-keys-did-I-get-took?"
category. Definitely an annoying intrusion into the serious
discussions which are the purpose of this list. If Leslie is entitled
to take advice from this list, Newton is too. Specifically, to
re-write the estimate with higher prices. (David Love wrote:
"Newton's reputation is impeccable, but his price is too low.")

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.