Hazen's Question about favorite Buffing setups

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 May 2002 20:27:03 -0700

Hazen,
I made up my key buffing machine from a Sears, 1725 rpm, double shaft motor.
Added the Sears buffing wheel spindles, 6" Muslin buffing wheels and a Sears
Safety Switch. I mounted the whole thing on a piece of 3/4" Plywood, 8"x20".
This has a "hand hold" on the end farthest away from the motor, for carrying
and hanging up. On the end closest to the motor I mortise it to accept a
piece of hardwood, 8"x3"x1" thick. Glued in place. This "tongue" goes in my
woodworking vise to hold it in place. I put rubber piano case buttons on the
bottom to cut down on the vibration. This whole thing is portable and easy
to use. I lay all the keys out on the bench and have the buffer on the one
end. Works good.
As for buffing brass, etc., I have a separate buffer made of a piece of
Railroad track w/bearings, belt pulley, shaft and spindles mounted on it. It
is mounted to the top of a roll-around cabinet, (that also has my horizontal
4"x36" sander mounted w/separate motor). The motors are under the
roll-around cabinet top and these are switched with in-line switches.
Part of the trick of doing good buffing work, is the buffing compounds.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)