Yamaha damper question

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 02 May 2002 19:11:14 +0000

Hi Clyde,
          Yep, and the right vintage. Don't beat around the bush. Prepare
the customer to pay for the underlever tray removal, and reinstallation.
Replace all centre pins. It's about 8hrs work to do, and get them all timed.
I like to ream them all out to a #21 pin so that I remove some bushing
cloth and get the bushings clean.   I've done lots of them, and no recalls.

Regards Roger

At 07:57 AM 5/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Earlier this week I received a complaint that a key was sticking on a
>1976 Yamaha G2 grand piano.  When I arrived I diagnosed the problem as
>the D#4 damper not returning to rest on the strings after the note was
>played.  I replaced the center pin holding the damper lever to the
>damper lever wire flange and all was fine.  The same thing had happened
>to the neighboring D4 damper three years ago.
>
>The removed pin looked discolored where it rotated in the felt bushing,
>so I decided to check it out under a microscope and see if I could learn
>something.  Some friends have a cheap one, but it served to show me that
>the center pin appeared to be deeply scratched around the pin.
>
>Now to my questions:  Is this a case of flaking plating that I heard
>about?  If not, what is likely the problem?  Are the center pins I buy
>from Schaff plated as well?  Will this become a chronic problem for this
>particular piano?  If so, is there any preventive measure I can take
>without replacing that center pin in every damper?
>
>Thanks,
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.