Robert Goodale re. GH-1

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 May 2002 16:39:29 -0700

Robert,
There is a good fix for that piano. It is available from Yamaha. I did the
"Re-scale" for them many years ago. They requested that I not talk about the
problem, but the word got out anyway. (Not from me!) It is a common fix, now
days, and it certainly can make the "break" a whole lot better.
One of the main problems with doing the alteration, is that the piano
doesn't have braces and is really squirrelly when you take the strings off
in that area. The ones I've done, jumped up 20-30 cents sharp (!) at A=440.
Once I got the new bi-chord strings on and in tune, the darn thing went
right back to being on! The more current models, they have added bracing and
the newer scaling.
The big problem is that the darned thing is so cheap, that a lot of poor
musician types bought them. Thinking that they were getting a quality
Yamaha. When, in fact, they were getting a PSO that was specifically
designed to be a status object, in the home of non-players. OOPS! That
really backfired, IMHO.
The long/short of it, is that it can be a fairly decent little piano, if
fussed with a bit. There are certainly worse ones out there. To quote Del,
when he encountered an Estonia, for the first time: Well, they make it cheap
enough so that it's feasible to rebuild it. (paraphrased from the original
statement. <G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)