different focus was Re: Bass strings/Willem's response

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 2 May 2002 23:01:49 +0200

Hello,

I don't agree totally on this one. replacing worn and stiff old white
(plain) strings always change the sound , thanks for the time involved doing
that. That it does not change the sound enough with this option only is
another matter.

Shaping the capo d'astro (and not Tastro in our latitudes) is second to the
good sound in treble regions, as the bridge pins well seated, the
terminations, of course the voicing, that play a very large part of course
in the sound quality.

Isaac OLEG

Somehow that got to be interpreted that I wouldn't replace strings even
though they loose elasticity, plastic, become corroded, rusted, get
fatigued, etc.

 >> But I don't think replacing them will change the tone of the piano.
There are other factors that will change the tone, but not the new strings
themselves.  <<

 Anyway if it is a very old 100 years vertical, why bother and change even
the basses then ?