Reply to Ted (temperament stuff)

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 07:30:48 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 6:17 PM
Subject: Reply to Ted (temperament stuff)

> > It so happens that I really like Meantone, but the music for it must
>
> >be chosen with great care. And this is the crux of the matter. There is
>
> >no such thing as a perfect temperament for all music, and to tune a Well
>
> >Temeperamant in the belief that anything is 'better' just because it is
>
> >not Equal makes no sense at all.
>
>      In my experience, very few tuners believe that "anything is better"
just
> because it is not equal.  ET has its place, but I submit that it has
enjoyed
> hedgemony the past 100 years primarily because of commercial reasons and
> convenience.  That is changing, today.

Conversely, why should we tune in ET?  Because "anything is better" than one
of those HT's?  Tongue only slightly in cheek here.  As Ted says, "...there
is no such thing as a perfect temperament for all music..."  As such, I say
we owe it to ourselves to expand our horizons and learn to apply other
temperaments as well as ET.

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT