Curve on Bridge Bottom

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 08:17:33 -0400

> The bridge doesn't form this long-way crown, the ribs do when the board is
> glued in.

Yes, of course, absolutely. But the essence of my original question is: Is there not an advantage to preserving this rib-induced pre-bridge-installation soundboard crown with a bridge bottom machined to match the board crown (or perhaps you want to machine the curve you think you will have after board loading - whatever). It seems to me it's like installing 16 of 17 machine-crowned ribs, but putting the last one in flat - you know it will bend because there are already 16 on the board with a bend in them - probably won't make much difference.

Again, I think I am really asking two questions here: First, from a practical standpoint - you have already said there doesn't seem to be much difference - I'll take you at your word. Second, from a theoretical standpoint - I should think there would be at least a theoretical advantage (and if so, perhaps a small, barely perceptible practical advantage - perhaps the practical advantage might only show up after thirty years, as maintaining original crown better?).

Terry Farrell