Replacing Bass strings w/o treble/restringing

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Wed, 1 May 2002 16:39:35 +0000

On Wed, 1 May 2002 07:19:42 -0400, "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
said:
> I'm not an expert on rescaling. That is why each time I have restrung a
> piano in the past, I have had David Sanderson do the scaling. I was
> being a little bit facetious when I said to evaluate it and see if you
> like it (just a little though). Perhaps I should have said to just
> simply rescale - you can always improve a scale (well, just about any)
> - especially a 60-year-old Baldwin Howard, or an Estey, or an Aeolian,
> or a ..............
>
> One of the big things I think a good scaler will improve is fixing
> large changes in inharmonicity and tension across the scale. When you
> have big changes in these factors - you hear it, and you can't always
> be successful in voicing them out. If you smooth these factors out, you
> will tend to have a nice even and balanced sounding scale.
>
> If your Howard has plain wires to the tenor/bass break, I think it is
> pretty safe to say: "Rescale It!"

My 56" upright has plain wires down to C3 (27-note bass).  If I have it
rescaled, is there a way to do it without changing to wound bichords,
or is there a way to use wound trichords in the tenor if I need wound
strings there?

--
  Stephen Airy
  stephenairy@fastmail.fm