Hazen's Question re. rescaling/liking/knowing.

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:25:18 EDT

In a message dated 05/01/2002 7:40:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
nhunt@optonline.net writes:

> > One of the main factors of Scaling an existing piano, is that the scaler
> HAS
> > to evaluate what is on the piano, originally, and determine the INTENT of
> > the DESIGNER. To arbitrarily change things to get what you think the piano
> > should be, without this consideration is ludicrous IMHO.

List,
  What I don't understand is ,I can't go by sound,which is what I
know,because in this case a busted pinblock took that option away.So I don't
know how the piano sounded
to start with.I noticed yesterday the the pinblock was replaced in 1960,as it
was written on it,so I wonder if the string sizes(steel)written on the plate
are original,or maybe someone has already changed this.I am relatively new at
restringing on my own,and want to start off right, making good decisions.I
have done numerous pianos(only one in my shop, restringing) I have put on no
telling how many strings in the field,and on a newly strung piano as well in
other shops.But have little or no experience in rescalling.I have the Travis
stringing book with different scales listed,but there might be 3 or 4 that
look like they would work,should I throw a dart?(just kidding).It's wonderful
having vast knowledge at your fingertips,and willing to share it,thanks much.
Hazen Bannister