ACTION WEIGHTS

Stuart & Aimee Balsillie sabalsillie@bigpond.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 19:31:55 +1000

To all,
I would be most appreciative if anybody would be able to help  me =
understand problems with touch weight in actions.

I was recently talking to a friend who is a piano technician and he was =
showing me a Schimmel grand action he just got in for repair ( not sure =
what size grand as he only had the action but apparently  the piano is =
30 years old,  and has not been touched by anyone)  He said the touch =
was very heavy, and when he put weights on it the keys would not budge =
under 60 grams although this varied from key to key.I asked if it was =
only due to heavy hammers? surely there must be friction problems as =
well (as I am sure Schimmel would not regulate their actions to 60 grams =
(is this assumption right?)   He said yes there was friction problems an =
he proceeded to quickly lubricate the roller on middle C, when he put =
the weights on this key it then moved at around 50 grams. I thought =
surely this would prove that there were friction problems and not hammer =
weight problems, he explained to me that although the weight had dropped =
the hammers were too heavy and that it will not play properly. I seem to =
have an uneasy feeling about this explanation and would be most grateful =
for anyone able to help explain what may be happening in this action.

sincerely,

Stuart Balsillie
Piano Technician
Kyneton