Steinway 457cps pitch

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:24:27 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >    The higher pitch does speed up all the thirds and sixths, though by a
> >small amount.  The scaling that is optimum for 440 can't be perfect for
> >something 12 cents higher,either.  How much more downbearing pressure is
> >created by the additional tension?
>
> For 12 cents, about 11 pounds. A light seasonal change's worth here. At
> 457cps, about 60 pounds. Somewhat less in both cases actually, because the
> board would deflect some, lowering the bearing angle and load.
>
> >  Things can't be the same if we change them.
> >Regards,
> >Ed Foote RPT
>
> Ok, let's.
> Ron N

All this assumes that all else is equal... just the pitch changed.... which
more then likely would not be the case..?? or what ??.. A piano designed for
457 would probably be just that.... designed for 457. And so talk of increased
downbearing pressure in the sense done above is rather meaningless me thinks.

Things arent the same whether we change them are not :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.