Piano tuner haters

James Baker JamesBakerRPT@carolina.rr.com
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:44:45 -0500

I believe it is generally on a Wurlitzer or something comparable.  Any rough
plate that will not allow you to insert your rubber mutes without binding on
the plate.  You stick it in and it pops out immediately or will not even go
in because it is stuck on the plate.  Am I imagining things again??

(OT) Terry, I don't oppose changing a rule if necessary.  I just favor rules
that apply evenly.  There are cliques and natural alliances in the guild and
hard rules help keep favoritism out of guild operations.  If someone works
out a solution that gets wide support, the rule will change.

See you in Chicago??

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: Piano tuner haters

> Hi James. What the heck is a friction plate?
>
> Terry Farrell

friction plate which resists any and all attempts to get a rubber mute to go
in without catching and bunching up (usually in the bass and tenor).

> James

the little Aeolian upright I had to tune about three weeks ago. The plate
was about 3mm behind the strings in the top of the treble section. There is
no way in heck to get a muting strip to stay on those strings. Try it, and
the first semi-hard blow pops 'em out. Not enough clearance for a rubber
mute either. Luckily, I had my Paps mute right there, but without it, it's
like "What? You don't want me to tune it?"
>       It's about that time that I came up with my infamous quote about
"There's a reason you don't see these guys hanging around anywhere anymore."