Case separation or delamination question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:49:38 -0500

Yes, the new soundboard does redirect interest at bit. I see your point.

> I haven't the means to simply flip this 8' sucker over. (Good thing it's
> only 85 notes)  Even if it hadn't just been rebuilt, I would want to know
> that it was likely necessary before I undertook the expense.

Do you have a chain fall? You can do it pretty easy with that.

> >Fully evaluate crown and downbearing over the entire soundboard to better
> >understand your soundboard's condition.

> Terry, I'm just curious.  How would you go about measuring the downbearing?

I use a Lowel downbearing guage. With it you can measure the orientation of the string speaking length, the orientation of the string as it crosses the bridge, and the orientation of the backscale portion of the string. This gives you a very clear picture of downbearing at any given location along the bridge. Your downbearing along with careful crown measurements should be able to tell you quite a story about how the board and strings inter-relate.

Terry Farrell