Case separation or delamination question

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:40:47 -0700

<0:)
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Skolnik=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 10:07 AM
  Subject: Re: Case separation or delamination question

  Hi Terry -
  At 08:52 AM 03/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:

    This is a long post about rim delamination.

  Actually, it only seems long, most likely because I used the shorter =
line width that people seem to prefer, and because I use too many =
commas. I also try to save space by not using smiley faces, but I think =
them a lot.  Also my apology took up a few lines.

     If I understand you correctly, you are concerned that the rim =
delamination is causing the tonal deficiencies.

  That WAS the point of my original question. By the time of the post to =
which you responded I was trying to confirm and clarify my understanding =
of what Del had said, which, overall, left me feeling that this might =
not be as big an issue as I had first thought.  I offered as little =
information as I thought was necessary to focus on that question, but, =
judging from a few of your subsequent comments, that may not have been =
adequate.

    I'm no rim professional, but I suspect all you need to do with this =
rim is to flip the piano over and fill the little rascal gap with West =
System epoxy.=20

  I haven't the means to simply flip this 8' sucker over. (Good thing =
it's only 85 notes)  Even if it hadn't just been rebuilt, I would want =
to know that it was likely necessary before I undertook the expense.

    Ok, so now you have the rim taken care of. Time to consider the =
cause of the tonal deficiencies. You have a flat board with a dead =
treble. You mention the piano was rebuilt. New soundboard? Yes Who made =
the soundboard? Not relevant, other than to say it was done by =
experienced rebuilder        Original 119 year old Steinway soundboard? =
Yikes! If that is the case, I would consider focusing on the need for a =
new soundboard. (This kinda sounds like the situation to me!)  No

  The question for me was whether there was any reason to suspect that =
the delamination would likely have contributed to the apparent lack of =
crown in a newly installed board.

    Fully evaluate crown and downbearing over the entire soundboard to =
better understand your soundboard's condition.
  Terry, I'm just curious.  How would you go about measuring the =
downbearing?

  (:-!) See, I can't seem to get a good smiley (;-(=20

  David Skolnik

    =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20