Convention pay off

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:05:45 EST

remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

> I believe the Guild is loosing money by not charging slidding fees for
> convention attendees.  The Guild is short $50 dollars at least because
> I could not go through the exhibit hall for one afternoon.  That was
> DC in 2000.  Now I get a Journal issue that states they must raise
> dues to make up for the amount they spent over what they took in in
> 2001.
>
> If they would have daily rates for the Convention I think $1,000 to
> $10,000  extra  could be generated over the "one fee for everyone,
> whether they attend 4 days or not."

Richard

After almost 50 years, you would think the PTG would have come up with a way
to allow one day registrations, or even allow someone in the exhibit hall for
a nominal fee. But, there are reason it hasn't happened.

First of all, the exhibit hall is for the convention registrants only. It is
not open to the public. It is one of the benefits for registering for the
convention. Here you can find all the supply houses, all the manufacturer
reps, and all the other business doing business with piano tuners, from all
around the country, and even from Europe and Asia, under one roof.
Considering how much it would cost you to go and see all those business in
person, don't you think $350 is a bargain?

As Mike said, other than the home office staff, everything that is done at or
for the convention is done by volunteers. If there is a way to monitor those
who register for one day only, without it taking more time away from
volunteers, many who pay to attend the convention in addition to doing one of
a variety of other "jobs," then perhaps that would be possible. But,
unfortunately, I believe there would be people who would take advantage of
it. There would be too many bad or hurt feelings, and too many altercations.
I personally would not want to be the "heavy" who patrols the hallways and
classroom to see if everyone there has paid.

Even if something was possible, if registration is $350 for 3 and half say of
classes, how much should we charge for one day? Yes, it is easy to say, $100
for a whole day, or $50 for half a day. But as with any other product or
service you buy, you usually have to pay a premium for getting a part of
something, instead of the whole thing. So we charge $150 for one day. What
happens if you decide to go another day. Now you're up to $300. By now, you
might has well pay $350 and go all 3 and half days.

The bottom line, is that is just too complicated. And I don't believe the PTG
would get an additional $1000, much less $10,000 in registration fees, if we
did offer one day passes. Maybe we could get $1000 more, but some of that
would be offset by additional paper work and man hours required to do the
extra work.

I hope this answers your question.

Wim