key length revisited

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:01:34 EST

In a message dated 3/29/02 10:03:10 AM, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< with the
exception of a few pianists, key length does not seem to be an issue,
especially considering the fact that there is such a wide difference from one
piano to another.  >>

It's the distance from the sharp to the end of the key that makes a big
difference.  I have been aware of this since my college days way before I
became a tech.  Not only is there a difference between the length of the
keys, believe it or not, sometimes there is a difference in the width of the
key.  When I was practicing for my graduate recital, I ended up on the same
Kawai piano often enough to realize that something was amiss.  I kept hitting
cracks when I played octaves.  Convinced that the octave was wider than other
pianos, I measure on a piece of paper the width of the octave and found that
I was correct.  On this piano, the keys were slightly wider.  I never
practiced on that piano again.

Tom Sivak