bad tech puzzler

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:26:54 -0700

Why would someone mute out the left and center strings on a trichord =
(not a=20
new string) and leave only one string sounding?

I did tune the center (sharp) string and there was no inharmonicity or =
other=20
problem.  It tuned up just fine.  The pin wasn't loose.  Everything =
seemed=20
just fine, but for some reason the guy muted it and it's left neighbor.  =

Could there be a rational reason for this?

Tom Sivak

    My theory is that while he was in the process of tuning, it became =
apparent to the owners of the piano that he didn't have a clue, and was =
asked to leave suddenly. He was probably too flustered to notice there =
was still a mute in the piano. A classic case of "Tunis Interruptus."

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com