Changing hammers

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 07:17:03 -0500

Hello José!

First thing I would ask is why are the hammers so bad? Is the piano old or
is it because it is in a practice room for a VERY good pianist? Sometimes,
when large pianos are in small rooms, the owners have them over voiced
(needled). This combined with a lot of playing will cause the hammers to go
flat at the strike point making them too loud too fast and from then on, it
becomes a vicious circle:  The more you will voice, the faster it will come
up bright... Also, is the piano played by many (is it in a concert hall)? If
yes, I would stick with Yamaha parts; they appear to be more expensive, but
you will save so much time installing and regulating and voicing. The only
thing that would make me go with different (I suspect softer) hammers, would
be if the pianist complains that the piano was always too harsh and he (she)
was never happy with the voicing for a long period of time.

Only my 2 cents (we haven't gone with the Euro yet)

Let us  know what you will do and what made you decide to go one way or the
other.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC