Case separation or delamination question

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:36:03 -0800

>At this time, I'm not aware of any successful "fixes" to this problem.  I
>should think any space between laminations would be a source of potential
>problems.
>
>Z! Reinhardt  RPT
>Ann Arbor  MI
>diskladame@provide.net

Hi Zen,
     I've had very good success with the epoxy treatment. Several pianos
that have lived in our desert for awhile de-laminate, and turning the case
over on it's top to fill up the gaps has held-up well. The earliest one I
encountered was.... oh... 20-something years ago, and I used a table-top
resin. Tone was restored, and I serviced that piano for many years before
it moved away. It was a Mason.
     Drying-down the case is best, but if it's not getting other belly
work, just make sure it's not "wet". I now use West System, and warm it up
a bit.
      A hint for over-turning grands.....  use plenty of pads, of course,
and if it has nice sturdy legs, just roll it over on it's front. Action
out, of course.  Piece-o-cake.

Shame there's not enough room in the separations for duct-tape. It oughta
work great!
<g>

Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, New Mexico