Downbearing

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:02:22 GMT

Hi!

I'm attending at a instrumentmaking school in Sweden as a
pianotech (three year course). As you probably all have
noticed the downbearing seem to get lower/totally dissapear
when lowering the string tension/taking away the strings
completly.

How come? At first I thought it all had something to do
with when you dry the soundboard to open the cracks when
repairing it. When we took apart a 185 grand at the school
we measured the downbearing all the way of the piano and
noticed some positive downbearing all the way through the
piano (+1mm at least). When we had lowered the tension of
the middle strings and started to lower the tension of the
left strings in the middle the metal wedges between the
cast iron and the 'front' of the soundboard (just where the
list wich the damperwires go through) fell off. That
indicated that the cast iron actually is compressed alot
under the string tension. I got surprised, even though I
can understand that is compressed somewhat under that
enormous tension the strings have.

Then I formed a second theory about the dissapearing
downbearing. Could it be that the strings actually
compresses the cast iron and the cast iron compresses the
whole soundboard giving it a part of its crown in that way?
I cant think of any other way, but I'd like to hear what
you all have to say about this since I got little
experience in this area. Do you always measure the crown
before and after the strings are taken away to make a more
accurate calculation of the downbearing when rebuilding
instruments? Any tips, theories etc are welcome. I'll be
back on thuesday to reply to any comments to this post.

Note that the downbearing was measured just before and
after the strings were taken away on that grand mentioned
above and the difference was very big. In some parts we had
about 2mm positive downbearing before removing the strings.
After we removed the strings we had 1-2mm negative
downbearing in some places.

Thanks,
Daniel Lindholm / Sweden