Another -20 cents on pitch....

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:08:38 -0800 (PST)

I've been somewhat following the discussion on pitch,
for example A-440 vs A-457, among other pitches.  When
I hear a higher pitch than 440, especially 448 and
higher or thereabouts, my mind thinks the next key
higher.  Example: a song written in F tuned to 450
will sound to me like F#.
Going to the flat side, however, I can take up to a
half step flat or occasionally even more and still
fairly easily train myself to think the right key.
Example here: song written in D tuned to 425 still can
sound like D to me, but a flat version of D at that.
If I had the choice of having a piano tuned to, for
example, 432 or 444, I'd pick 432.  If 440 was an
option, I'd pick that.
Also, I had been tuning my piano to 440 for the last
year or so, but the last couple months I've dropped it
to 435, and I'll have to say it sounds better to my
ear, and for overall pitch is more stable there.  It
pretty much stayed at 435 since a week ago when I
tuned it, whereas at 440 it would be 10 cents flat.
It still was noticeably out of tune with itself, but
it wasn't as far off the previously tuned pitch.