answer to mystery noise

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:31:48 EST

In a message dated 3/28/02 2:41:01 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Bigeartb@AOL.COM
writes:

> FWillem:
>       Please help me to understand a bit better......Why did you decide to
> lightly file the knuckle. Also, while we're talking about knuckles.....what
> is the best lubricant to use on my new set of wippen knuckles on this piano
> I'm rebuilding? Soap Stone???
>
> Tommy Black
> Decatur, Ala.

Tommy

I am not sure what I did to the knuckles when I filed them. But when I did,
it stopped the noise all together. I guess it took enough roughness, and
maybe a little corrosion, off the leather, to stop the squeak.

Now you ask about wippen knuckles. I have never heard of wippen knuckles, so
I guess you mean shank knuckles. If I tell you what I use, I will get in
trouble with the PTG police. So I'll whisper it to you, if you promise not to
tell any one.

I lift all the shanks up, exposing the knuckles. I then run two strips of
masking tape from one end of the action to the other, on the knuckles,
leaving about 1/4" inch of leather exposed, right where it touches the jacks.
I then use spray graphite, and give it a light coating. That has always
worked for me. The liquid graphite soaks into the leather, and doesn't seem
to gum up like powdered graphite does.

Wim