Steinway 457cps pitch

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:06:53 EST

>Why do you find 443 absurd?  It's an interesting question.  Why does A
>443 sound
>more or less good than A 440 or A 457 for that matter?

    The higher pitch does speed up all the thirds and sixths, though by a
small amount.  The scaling that is optimum for 440 can't be perfect for
something 12 cents higher,either.  How much more downbearing pressure is
created by the additional tension?
    Plus, the singers can't sing the literature that was written for the
lower pitches and have the natural vocal breaks be in the right places at
this higher pitch,  they are already straining to sing music at a pitch 20
cents higher than the standard of Mozart's time.
  Things can't be the same if we change them.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT