key length

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:56:42 EST

In a message dated 3/26/2002 11:25:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bsnook@pacbell.net writes:

> Subj:Re: key length
> Date:3/26/2002 11:25:14 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:bsnook@pacbell.net">bsnook@pacbell.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>               List

               When my Father had his Yamaha dealership one of yamahas one
selling point was that full six inch key which is about 1/4 inch longer than
many. Also As I've learned of late that there are two lengths of head scales.
Meaning the front large piece of the white key. The old stwy head scale is 1
7/8" where many pianos including some vintages of steinways use a 2' head
scale. But frankly I've not known of a pianist to notice this difference
which I think would be important. If you order new keys substituting the 2'
for the shorter the net result is a shorter sharp. Now I think that woud make
a few people crabby.