Steinway 457cps pitch

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:55:54 -0800

 "Richard Brekne" wrote:
> From a strictly philosophical point of view.... why would anyone want any
particular pitch ?  I fail to see that 440 is any more or less absurd then
430, 457, 492.643, or Pi R^2 for that matter.

It is entomologically absurd, in that it is not reasonable to have a
completely irrelevant set of pitch levels; the absurdity does not lie with
the assignment of pitch to frequency, that is naturally a philosophical
debate. The problem is specifically with pitch itself. Musicians need to be
able to align pitch levels is such a way that it is possible for them to
function together. For whatever reason, for good or bad, the international
standard (Physics) is A4=440; most modern instruments are designed around
that standard, which of coarse has some degree of flexibility. Orchestras
that I performed with recently have given A4=439-443, so I do understand
that the standard is anything but 'standard.'

Bradley M. Snook