Steinway 457cps pitch

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:36:25 +0100

"Bradley M. Snook" wrote:

> 457cps is 65.63 cents sharp (from 440cps). But I agree, why anyone would
> want a pitch level so high is absurd; other than the issue with the tensile
> strengths, performance with other musicians would prove very difficult
> (especially by today's standards).
>
> Bradley M. Snook

>From a strictly philosophical point of view.... why would anyone want any
particular pitch ?  I fail to see that 440 is any more or less absurd then 430,
457, 492.643, or Pi R^2 for that matter.

I do see the advantage of having a standard, tho I also recognize that no such
standard exists.....de facto anyways.

Engineering issues can always be resolved..... by ..er... engineers...grin

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.