Varying bridge height (was Re: Floating soundboard)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:01:51 0000

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:35:17
 Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>> The way I remember it was the area between the last rib (most
>> bass-wise rib) and the rim was open.  Also the soundboard was set into the
>case
>> at an angle so that the bridge was quite a bit taller at the bass end than
>at the
>> treble end.  I seem to recall it had some sort of fanciful name like
>cello-piano or
>> cello-tone or some such thing.   I only saw the piano when it was destrung
>and
>> never got to hear or play it.
>
>Odd. I don't remember this about the piano. It seems the soundboard was
>installed in a more-or-less conventional manner.

It's been some time since I saw this, so I may not have it quite right.  But,
Conrad says he works on a similar piano, so I guess I haven't completely
lost my mind.  I do remember the opening in the board and the fact that the
bridge was quite a bit taller at the bass end.  It could be that the soundboard
was level and the plate was set in at an angle, but that's not the way I remember
it.

>And why would the 'optimum' bridge height vary from one end to the other?
>Indeed, what is the 'optimum' bridge height? The added mass of the taller
>bridge isn't going to make much, if any, difference. And, beyond a certain
>point, neither will any added stiffness.
>
>Del

Optimum is, as ever I suppose, in the eye or ear (or mind) of the beholder.  It
would depend on what you believe the purpose of the bridge is and how the
string, bridge, soundboard systems operates.  Some of the possibilities that
I have heard, or some that I just made up myself:

1.  To provide a 'path' for the vibrations imparted at any one spot to 'travel'
to all parts of the board.  If this is the function then what are the optimum
dimensions?  Is it dependent on frequency?  I don't know.

2.  To provide something solid to drive the bridge pins into.  If this is the main
function then the bridge really only needs to be big enough to hold the pins.  Any
extra material would be superfluous.  How long do the pins need to be anyway?
Probably not as long as they commonly are.  Anything much below the surface
of the bridge is probably not doing much.  So practically speaking, the bridge
could be very short if this were its only function.

3.  To provide some stiffness smoothing (impedance smoothing?) so that
adjacent notes don't 'see' markedly different local stiffness in the board.  If
there were no bridge or a very short bridge, the notes that attach to the
soundboard directly over a rib would see more local stiffness than a note that
attaches to the soundboard between ribs.  This seems to me to assume that the
forces applied to the board by the vibrating string (and the subsequent board
movement) are important to the production of sound.  As discussions here have
shown, this is a topic of debate.  But assuming that this is the function of the
bridge what is the optimum height?  Since the strings at the low end of the scale
have more excursion and usually higher tension then the forces they are applying
to the bridge as they vibrate are greater.  So it would seem that you would need
more bridge stiffness to provide this 'smoothing'.  This could mean a taller bridge
at the bass end.

4.  To provide stiffness to the soundboard, rib, bridge system in addition to that
provided by the board itself and by the addition of ribs to the board.  If this is
the primary function then it seems you would want more stiffness at the top end
and less stiffness at the low end.  So the bridge might be taller at the top end.
Perhaps items 3 and 4 balance each other out so that the bridge should be the
same height all along.

5.  To change the vibrational response (mode shapes) of the board.  I don't know
what the optimum dimensions would be for this but it seems likely that to get
whatever response the designer decided he wanted he might have to use a bridge
that had different stiffness and mass along its length.

6.  To give an observed result.  Perhaps if you built several pianos of similar design
with different bridge heights you might decide you liked the top end of the piano with
certain bridge dimensions and the bottom end of the piano with other bridge
dimensions.  This might lead you to think that your optimum bridge was one with
varying dimensions from top end to bottom end.

7.  To serve as a marketing tool.  As with soundboards and other things I won't
mention bigger must be better, right?  The sales people can say that your piano
is better than the competition because it has a bigger bridge.  Or they can say
it has a more high tech design than the competition because the bridge changes
dimension and is 'optimized' throughout the scale.  It has Patented Acoustic
Construction as one manufacturer says (or used to say).

Phil F

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com