Another 2 cents on pitch

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 01:03:52 EST

In a message dated 3/25/2002 8:51:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hufford1@airmail.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Another 2 cents on pitch
> Date:3/25/2002 8:51:37 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:hufford1@airmail.net">hufford1@airmail.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>             Hi Robin

           I've not followed this thread but as I've posted before  I
rebellied a stwy 7 ft from 1870s which had a string scale that without a
doubt needed A-457 to have enough tension so as to have the speaking voice of
a concert sounding piano. I ran some lengths and tension analysis on this
scale and at A-457 the tensions were what you'd expect to find in a normal
A-440 scale so it is not as if it wasn't designed for it. That being said can
you imagine pulling the average A-440 Steinway scale up a half step which is
what A-457 is and expect it to live long and prosper without string breakage.
I can't, so although I don't doubt for a second what was said to you what
possible musical purpose would this have served. Either the orchestra or the
piano would have to transpose keys to play together. The only positive
outcome would possibly be that the piano would be possibly be louder as it
approached its breaking strength and sound great,well at least for a while.
It would definately cut throught the Orchestra better don't you think.
   Someone for the sake of interest needs to crunch the string scale for a B
or a  D
boost the pitch level and report back on the percentage of breaking strain to
see if simply jerking the pitch up a half step was a feasible option without
a completly different string scale.
      Just MY two cents worth as well.>>>>>>>>>Dale Erwin