Varying bridge height (was Re: Floating soundboard)

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:33:35 -0600

Phil, Andrew,

At 22:08 03/25/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:31:55
>  ANRPiano wrote:
>
> >Years ago I rebuild a very small grand, (whose name escapes me) which had a
> >Andrew Remillard
> >

>I remember seeing a piano like this in another rebuilder's shop.  I think
>it was a
>Mehlin.  ...Also the soundboard was set into the case
>at an angle so that the bridge was quite a bit taller at the bass end than
>at the
>treble end.

You are in fact describing a Mehlin.  We have a 6' 4" here at the college
and the bass bridge is about 6" tall.  The s/b slopes (drains) quite well
and the string plane actually rises toward the tail.   It calls itself an
"Endwood" bridge, whatever that is supposed to mean.   The action is does
not shift and is held in quite firmly in place by a multitude of screws
through the action frame. (soft pedal lifts hammers like an upright)

The Mehlin patent sloping fallboard means that it is a 6' piano in a 6'4" case.

The only thing I like about it is that the action has a wire bail handle to
pull it out - just like the square grand it sounds like...

Conrad Hoffsommer -  Decorah, IA
Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...