The Behavior of Soundboards - Chronology

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:07:37 +0100

Nice work David....  I got to re-reading some of this stuff, and was especially
interested in what the three big time physists had to say on the general
question of how and in what manner the strings get the board moving.

I just had to re-include this earlier given quote from G.Weinreich...

     Dear Mr. Brekne, in this case the simplest process -- transverse
     motion of
     the soundboard -- is also the dominant one. Although it is possible
     resolve it into waves traveling through the soundboard, I think you
     can
     understand it better as the bridge giving rise to standing waves in
     the
     soundboard which are, in fact, what are called modes of vibration of
     the
     soundboard.

I note that he actually says here that visualizing... or understanding
soundboard vibration is one thing,,,, and not necessarily the same as a more
complex and complete mathematical or physics description.

Another thing that continues to discomfort my meanderings on all this is the
constant weight placed on the soundboard modes of vibration. These seem to
govern the overall sound in a way somewhat more inclusive then simple
sympathetic resonances with string frequencies that are in coincedence at any
given time. I keep getting the feeling that there is some more general and
overall filtering effect constituted by these modes, and have trouble resolving
that thought with the notion that the soundboard simply vibrates up and down in
simple transverse motion identically reflective of the actual string
frequencies. That difficulty has lessened a bit since it seems apparent that
the soundboard does indeed vibrate in a manner somewhat more complex then the
simplest of models presented during the discussions, but still it leaves much
to be unresolved in this laymans mind of mine.

I wholeheartedly aggree tho that the subject manner in all its tangents is of
great interest and of more value then maybe some of us give it credit for.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.