cellophane

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:34:30 -0700

    When I first started to read your post, I thought that one of the =
ribs might be separating near a crack in the soundboard, but when I got =
to the part about it occurring on the key release, it must be something =
to do with the damper, or else some foreign object actually did get into =
the action cavity somehow.=20
    The "safety factor" you mention is aftertouch. You can easily check =
that by feel when you get there. There has to be some. I doubt whether =
it's the rep lever, unless it's a case of parts that are loose on the =
rail.=20
    To clean the rep springs, take your spring tool, pop the spring out =
to the side and clean it off. You can hit it with a mild abrasive if you =
need to. If you're going to do that, at the same time check to see that =
the slot it rides in isn't also gummed up with junk.
    I think it's going to be one of those things that become obvious =
when you see the piano, but leaves you scratching your head before you =
arrive. Hope it's not the soundboard, though.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Keith Roberts=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 9:47 AM
  Subject: cellophane

  I just got a call from a client who said it sounded like there was =
cellophane in her piano when she played. It made her jump up and look to =
see what was "in there". She played a few bass notes over the phone and =
you could hear a definite action clatter. Then she noticed it was =
occurring when she released the key. I guess I'm revealing my age when I =
say I know the "sound of cellophane". I think the thing noticed most =
about cellophane was the rustling noise that had an unusual =
crackling/pop noise with it. Nothing quite like it. If you guys don't =
nail this one, I'll be surprised. This is probably going to take me into =
my next field of study. I have a good understanding of key dip/hammer =
blow distance/let off though I've heard talk of a safety =
factor/relationship that I would like to know more about. I've taken =
Nick Gravanite? Action geometry and Wally Brooks, effective weight =
control and couple of grand regulation classes. Now to the repetition =
lever. My guess, and it's purely a guess, the noise is the rep lever =
going through it's cycle. Guy Nichols class, Extreme measures, he said =
"pop and buff" the rep springs. What's the best way to do that and is =
that anywhere close to my problem noise?
  By the way, Guy's class is a good one to take after lunch. you won't =
fall asleep.=20
  Keith R