Just had a Bach Werckmeister rehearsal with 3 violins

pbailey pbailey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:55:52 -0800

Found this on the Tuning list this morning. Interesting; do string
players
play in temperaments?
							Paul Bailey
							Modesto, CA
Message: 2
    Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:44:47 EST
    From: Afmmjr@aol.com
Subject: Just had a Bach Werckmeister rehearsal with 3 violins

In case there is interest on the list, I thought I'd share the
experience I
had tonight in Brooklyn.  It was a first rehearsal of the solo violin,
ritornello violin 1 and ritornello violin 2.  The music street now
considers
that Bach had in mind only 1 string instrument to a part.  That's better
for
me because I am playing 1 of 2 alto recorders for the Brandenburg
Concerto #4
in G major.

So I hand them a little 12 note chart of Werckmeister tuning in cents.
Now,
my alto recorder is scotch taped to a perfect Werckmeister scale.  I
could
photocopy it in a photocopier and then someone could tape another alto
recorder to the same modifications.  This means that we could all play a
scale where they would match me: the recorder set a standard pitch.

Then we played through.  Wow.  Julianne Klopotic said aloud, "this
tuning is
so beautiful. I didn't think it could sound like this."  Soloist Dan
Auerbach
seemed in shock in the train ride back to Manhattan.  "Why don't people
know
about this?  Why isn't this taught in the conservatories?  Why don't I go
back to a University to get this out there and myself proper recognition
and
degree?"  See, he didn't know about Columbia University.

Each person seemed to prefer a different way of thinking of it.  They
tried
real hard to hear the semitonal movements.  It through them off.  They
started hearing flatter notes as sharper!  I redirected their ears and
mind
so that they could hear the relationship, in G Major of each interval's
specialness.  Ah, now it was starting to click.  Dan announced, "how many
fiths and how many thirds?"

Good question, 2 sizes of fifth and 4 sizes of third.  But Julianne was
more
interested in the variety of 39 intervals at 6 cents apart.  Maxim was
quieter.  His playing did his talking...really beautiful.  They all
picked it
up rapidly (one hour).  There are only 2 more rehearsals.  At the end,
there
is a unison between violins which was played exquisitely.  Hope they can
do
that on April 30th.  That's when the music should peak.

Best, Johnny Reinhard

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched