Newton/Electrical Question

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 05:22:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:47 AM
Subject: Newton/Electrical Question

> Man, are you showing your age. 99% of all flourescent lights donot use
> "Starters", as you described. <G> Most are now a different type of
Ballast.
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

    Maybe he confused ballasts with starters, but starters are still used.
I just bought a new fluorescent fixture that has a starter for each bulb
(tube).  Haven't noticed the big rectangular ballasts anymore, though.  And
you don't have to be "old" to know what they are if you live or work in a
place with old fixtures.
    To make this piano-related, some spinets and consoles and many organs
had fluorescent fixtures mounted on the underside of the music desk, and a
slot for the light to shine up on the sheet music.  Usually the ballast has
long since gone bad or the wires have been cut.  Does anybody bother making
these work again?  I think it's a nice feature if it doesn't buzz too
loudly.  Many kitchen ranges also had similar fixtures.  Also saw a grand
piano once -- Blüthner, I think -- that had a built-in ashtray on the music
desk.         --David Nereson, RPT, Denver