tuning with Dampp-Chaser

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:34:26 -0500 (EST)

> From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>:
> Just one thought Charles. If you are using one of the little $30
> hygrometers out there, I would not attach too much significance...

Good point. I have to remind myself that 39% or 45% might all refer to an
actual RH of 42%. So I try not take it too seriously. If I really wanted
concrete data, I'd have several sensors placed in different parts of the
piano, logging the RH every 5 minutes or so. Since I don't want to go that
far, I'm throwing in a little intuition into the picture, by generally
"getting a feel" for what's going on, based on how I've seen things
behave. One thing I've learned is that there are tons of variables.

As for drafts, there are no real drafts like you'd get from a window that
has a leak, but there are large volumes of air that move around in the
room due to temperature changes and open doors, etc. That's probaly worse
than a draft, even. And I have the piano around 6" from the wall, so lots
of air can move behind it, taking the soundboard's precious humidity with
it.

I only have a short while left of this dry weather, so I want to wrap this
up before the humid weather comes with new challenges for me!

Charles