tuning with Dampp-Chaser

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:16:40 -0500 (EST)

Now I'm pretty convinced that one of the main things that affects the
performance of the D-C is drafts, as has already been pointed out to me.

I reported before that the D-C seemed to have trouble keeping the humidity
up when the room was below 30% humidity.  Today it was around 35% and I
had the temperature in the room at a stable 68 deg F. The humidity in the
piano was around 42%. Perfect. Then, since it was a nice day out, I opened
some doors. I still had a heater going in the piano room, so the
temperature didn't change. However, the open doors caused a lot of air to
move around. Then the humidity in the piano dropped to around 35%. So I
think the air moving around was the cause.

And drafts could explain why it was having a hard time when the humidity
was really low. When I was getting those low humidity levels in the room,
it was because the heat was on a lot because it was cold out. While I
didn't feel any big drafts, I noticed that my feet were really cold. That
means there was cold air seeping into the room, hence air moving around. I
think that was causing the problems.

I'll definitely try a back cover. Also, I might consider filling the crack
at the top of the knee board with that gray foam rubber stuff that
hardware stores sell to place around air conditioner window units. I'd
also really like to have a removable top cover under the lid so that I can
open the lid while I play but not affect the humidity when I do so.

Charles