Band saws (Grizzly)

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:15:37 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 24, 2002 10:36 AM
Subject: Band saws (Grizzly)

> All,
> My biggest concern with major tools, that are made in Taiwan, China, etc.,
> is: Can I get the darned thing fixed if it breaks? Let's consider, also,
> that American made products keep Americans working. However, having said
> that, go with the best tool(s) you can afford. IMHO CHEAP always comes
back
> to bite you in the backside.

I agree. That's one reason I do recommend Grizzly if you can't justify Delta
or whatever. They do moniter quality control at the factories they deal with
and they do supply parts for the machines they sell. Generally you must
supply a machine description, model number and serial number. They do not
supply parts for similar machines sold by other importers.

> I have a bandsaw that was made in the 1940's. It is massive and well made.
> It continues to serve me well, with very little maintenance, other than
> setting it in it's proper specs. from time to time. Good preventative
> maintenance is always the best way to go.

If you can find something like this, great. However, unless the machine is
still in the manufacturers lineup parts will still be non-existant. The best
advice is in the last sentence...and that's true regardless of where the
machine comes from.

> My olde shop teacher said: "You can't do a sharp job unless you have a
SHARP
> tool." and "You can't do a PROPER job, unless you use the PROPER tool".
> (Don't open paint cans with your screwdriver, etc.) :-)

Right. They are to be used to remove hub caps (remember those?), to work
pinblocks loose from bellyrails and jimmy engines back in place.

Regards,

Del