Floating soundboard

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:45:44 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 23, 2002 5:09 AM
  Subject: Re: Floating soundboard

  In a message dated 3/22/2002 10:40:01 PM Central Standard Time, =
Erwinspiano@AOL.COM writes:

    This is the design or redesign of a soundboard that has a sound =
board that is not attached to the rim at the tail end of the piano and =
usually as close to the bass bridge .=20

  How large of an area is unattached?  Is there any risk of =
noise/buzzes?

Depends on the piano, the shape of the rim, the layout of the ribs, the =
location of the bass bridge, the location of the tenor bridge relative =
to the bass bridge, etc.

It can be as short as 20 or 30 cm or as long as 80 to 100 cm. In our =
practice the longer cut-outs will typically have a sub-rim reinforcing =
the edge of the soundboard along its full length. This is made of either =
solid stock or is laminated to suit, depending on the piano and the job.

I know of no history of noises and/or buzzes associated with the =
technique.