Sohmer

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:04:33 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Skolnik" <skolnik@attglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 21, 2002 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: Sohmer

> Del,
> Could you explain what you mean by "vertical string offset"?
>
> David Skolnik

The string passes through the agraffe then up several mm's over a wood riser
just aft of the agraffe offsetting plane of the backscale considerably from
the plane of the speaking length. Measuring string angles with the thing
strung is quite easy, of course, but with the original (though modified to
shorten the scale somewhat) on a new board I found establishing an initial
bearing setting challenging. I finally worked out a way to do it (to do
something, at least) geometrically. But you don't just run a string over the
top of the bridge.

Del