Muting high treble

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 07:15:41 -0600

Hi Issac,

I had the opportunity once to directly compare "strip muting" with "unisons
as you go" pitch correction. The Unisons as you go gave a much more stable
result three months later. Unfortunately although I did some before and
after measurements on both pianos (identical UST-6 instruments, in the same
building, that were identical ages, nearly identically flat, both brand
new, and both equipped with humidity control systems) I did not write them
down. Both instruments were "in tune" and there was not much to choose
between the two methods. However, three months later, the mid treble on the
strip muted piano was far less stable. (on the order of 20 cents
difference, worst note comparision to unisons as you go).

I have never had a chance to do this again, but it did convince me to
change from my strip muting ways to unisons as you go. Perhaps one of you
university types could have a go?

At 09:15 AM 3/24/02 +0100, you wrote:

>I usually tune unisons as I go, but for PR where I use the strip method, so
>the pass is the fastest,

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/