Cracked Plate!

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:19:25 -0800

A 1/4" crack?  That's not a crack, that's a chasm worthy of mule trails
and a camp ground!  Even with a 1/4" crack the Lock-N-Stitch system
should be able to repair it although you would probably have to use a
large pin size and probably the stitching plates.  Is this piano worthy
of the repair?

The Lock-N-Stitch system works in two ways.  The first part are the
specially engineered screws called "pins".  A hole is pre drilled to an
exact diameter into the crack.  Then a special countersink tool is used.
 Then threads are tapped into the hole.  The tools for all of the above
are included in the kit.  Next a sealing compound is dabbed into the
hole and the special Lock-N-Stitch pin/screw is inserted.

The pin/screw is not what you would normally think of as a screw.  The
threads are tilted upward in a very strange way.  They grip the sides of
the cast iron and will actually pull a crack together.  When the screw
bottoms out in the countersink the head breaks off at a pre determined
torque for a precise fit.  The screws themselves are made of a special
alloy that is similar in hardness and characteristics of cast iron so as
it tightens the threads actually meld together in a permanent fit.  The
really strange part of all this is that once the screws are broken off
and ground down flat you can then drill out and install another pin
right through a portion of the last one so that they overlap each other!
 The previous pin will have become one with the cast iron as if a crack
was never there!  Using a series of overlapping pins you fill the entire
crack.  If a crack is bad enough and wide enough you can install
stitching plates as well.  These are locking devices that go in the
opposite direction of the crack and can technically bolster the strength
beyond what it was originally.  Once the repair has been made you can
smooth it out with a little filler and paint it and it will be as if
there never was a break.

The idea is quite revolutionary and has an incredible track record.  You
can request a video tape from the company that shows the whole process
including stress tests.  When ordering tell them that you are a piano
technician and you need the kit appropriate for piano plates.  They will
know exactly what you need.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV