tuning with Dampp-Chaser-pitch

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:36:48 -0800

I install lots of de-humidifier/humidstat "partial" systems in my neck  of
the woods, (Beach area of SO CAL) where the average humidity is 50-100% for
most of the year. My question is: when installing this system in NEW pianos,
which is almost always the case, I really need to do a signifcant pitch
raise to at least A442, even if the piano is already at A440. I do this
because i know, from experience, that the dehumidifier will "leach out"
excess moisture from this new piano, which is in a generally high humidity
environment. In addition, the new piano wire will also settle and stretch,
so if i tune it where it is, at A440, it WILL be waaaay flat when i come
back, even in 3 months.
So, I'm having a little dilemma trying figure this one out; the company will
NOT pay me to pitch raise a piano if it's already at A440 (Warranty tuning),
so then the only alternative i can see is to charge the customer when i come
back in 3 or 6 months for the pitch raise it WILL need. I'm curious as to
what other's would do in similar scenarios. Thanks in advance!

Terry Peterson

Terry