Cracked Plate!

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:06:58 -0800

Greetings again list:

Since my post of last week regarding the strange behaviour of a Pease baby
grand, and heeding the advice of the few who responded, I have determined
that the plate is indeed cracked. That's what was causing the chaos in
tuning and playability. Now the question is... is it worth trying to repair
the plate on this inexpensive piano, or should I just junk it? The case is
beautiful and it would seem a shame to just toss it, but I'm not in a
position to spend beau coup dollars fixing it either. The crack is at the
end of the last bass strut, the one that's overstrung. The plate is crack
through completely, farther back than the hitch pins for the tenor strings
(on the understrung portion). I hope this is making some sense. Without
pictures or being able to draw this, I feel as though I may not be
explaining it very well.

In any case, suggestions or ideas GREATLY appreciated. If I can't fix the
plate, I'm probably donating the thing to Carl Meyer and his capo bar
hardening experiment.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA