Muting high treble

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:29:57 -0600

Hi Jay,

I have tried to measure the effect you are speaking of. It would be rare
for it to be as large 2 cents and it is inconsistant from piano to piano
even with the same make and model. I suspect if you are having this sort of
pitch drop after doing a unison that plate flex (pitch correction) is
making the difference.

At 03:03 AM 3/23/02, you wrote:
>I thought this phenomenon is just the opposite.  The pitch sounds 2-4 cents
>sharper when the strip mute is in, compared to when it's out and after the
>unisons are tuned. Isn't this common and tuners must compensate?  The pitch
>difference is obvious when comparing a muted trichord - hearing just one
>string compared to the overall pitch after tuning its two unisons.
>
>Jay Mercier

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/