Grand plate clean-up

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:47:41 -0500 (EST)

 Consider, since your replacing the bass strings
anyway, and treble string is so cheap, the economy
of replacing all string.

 Just 6 hours installing treble string. Probably
just a few more then the prep., tape, and spraying
problems with string on.

 I imagine several hours trying to clean and prep the
plate for spraying, awkwardly working around old
string, attempting to keep string free of cleaner,
wrapping carefully, removing wrapping. It will be
obvious some surface is sprayed, some not.

 I steel wool and spray the plate with engine cleaner,
wipe well, and wipe with alcohol. I spray with a can.
Plate out allows to polish or replace bolts,
hardware, looks good. Very quick, a couple hours
  Having a hard time wrapping my mind around the
problems of cleaning and  spraying a plate with
strings in. Seems like it could take time anyway,
expecially   to tape and clean up plate hardware.

 I have a Bluthner downstairs, despite some poor souls
best efforts, it has more then a sprinkle of gold all
over the pins and strings.

 I'd suggest it may take an extra $40 of string,
and an extra 3 hrs of time to change all the string.
With the plate out it is so very quick to spray, no
taping, better cleaning and preping, fully refinished.

All that saved time would go on stringing.

Of course there is then an extra couple hours of
chipping, seating, & tuning. Did one last week.
 From zero to A445 tuning, three passes over 2 hours.
The next day it was A440.

                             One opinion
                             Cheers